Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Does anyone else hunt and eat squirrels?

I love to hunt and eat fox squirrels but whenever I tell people that, they think it is sick. They do not taste bad, are not 'tree rats', etc. They are so tasty and delicious. However I've never met another hunter besides my family that eats squirrels, so I figured I'd ask on here. Please no personal attacks, try it first.Does anyone else hunt and eat squirrels?
I do... only thing I've been able to shoot this year.








Got 5 in the freezer and once my gun is fixed, gonna get some more.. squirrel makes an awesome stew.Does anyone else hunt and eat squirrels?
Hey, if people thin of squirrels as a tree rats and disgusting, they should think of bunny and rabbits as big rats too. At least they all the same type family under biology table of Darwin.


Not me I think meat and skin of squirrels are very valuable. In some places people not only eat meat and make stew from squirrels but also make coats from their skins. So I don't see a problem in eating one or using its parts in one way or another. It is an animal and animals are to be eaten and used by people.
when people think of squirrels, they instantly think of rats and mice, since squirrels are rodents.


I don't eat them, but I wouldn't pass the chance of trying it, I wouldn't want to take one and end up not liking it and having to throw the rest of it away, I'm not much of a waster.


lots of people eat squirrels, just most of the time they don't talk about it since it's almost a taboo unless your in a southern US state, where it's common place to see people eating squirrel, even some restaurants serve it as a replacement for chicken.


it was a staple food during the bad times in the US and Canada, like the great depression and the likes,


so I personally have nothing against it and will try it one day, just not right now.
Yep well some people are nuts. I had a gal tell me eating squirrels was sick as she sat at a table in a high class restaurant eating escargot. I told her; lady your eating snails and telling me eating wild game is sick? lol





I have eaten all sorts of things including muskrat, beaver, cougar, bear meat and yes some insects reptiles and frogs.


My grandpa said :never eat anything you didn鈥檛 know when it was alive. He was right.


Oops maybe he said never eat anything until you get to know it first鈥?hmmm something like that.





In Alaska we have pine squirrels they taste much like a pine cone, I miss fox and grey squirrels, You lucky dog!
Ive hunted and eaten squirrel in the past, but not for quite a few years. Most of us cringe at the idea of eating bugs, yet they are a mainstream food in many asian countries. It's all about what you are accustomed to. 100 years ago, squirrel was much more common as a food source and no one would have blinked if you told them you ate them. They just would have assumed you were poor, as this isnt a delacacy, its meat on the table quickly and cheaply.





and they are tree rats, albeit sometimes cute ones.
LOL. If you look at a rat and a squirrel. Theres not that much difference. To me, squirrels are as fun to eat as they are to hunt. But where I'm from everyone eats em. People now of days aren't open to new or weird things. Heck, I make fish gravy!! Sounds weird I know, and people are disgusted by the sound of it until they try it. Then its a different story.
I haven't hunted much since i was 17 i am now 25 almost in January, I love to hunt and yes i enjoy squrreils although i have only tried gray ones. Been busy in the USMC the last 3 years and haven't hunted once since I have joined upland, small game or otherwise.


Hotwing
Im right there with you. I love to hunt them and eat them and I get the same responses ... ';thats disguisting. '; I just went out this past week and bagged a few gray and fox squirrel and I plan on cooking them up. How do you usually cook yours up?
Here, here, yum, yum.* Squirrel Casserole with noodles, peas, carrots, and onions.* Oh yeah.*
It's probably not gross, but you've gotta expect people to think it is. Ive never heard of it before and it sounds kinda weird to me. But if you like it...
I've hunted and eaten squirrels (gray squirrels, not fox)


I've done BBQ and open pit fires, but mostly stews/crock pot.





If you've got recipes I'd love to see but the season has been very slow and wet.
I have eaten them in the past. I am planning on taking my youngest son squirrel hunting now that deer season is over. They have been eating all of the corn from the feeder.
Yes i went yesterday didnt kill any but we usually fry em
Hmm I have never had squirrel before, wait there is such a thing as a fox squirrel?
i hunt and eat squirrels.. my kids also eat them..


i am sorry, but they are tree rats..
No. There are squirrels around but there so few I don't bother.
yes there good. i got some in the freezer. gotta go get more to make some Squirrel Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment