Wednesday, May 12, 2010

For those who hunt....are there now two squirrel seasons in your area?

Like it is here in Louisiana? If so, why?For those who hunt....are there now two squirrel seasons in your area?
Yeah, we have 2 seasons in Louisiana. The fall season and the short season in May. I think it is to try and get the kids into small game hunting a little more.In May there is not much else going on and they were hoping to generate a little interest in getting more kids into hunting. The wildlife and fisheries shot themselves in the foot a few years ago when they raised the hunting license fees and put a $15 permit fee in effect just to hunt the management areas.So many people quit buying licenses and hunting that it winded up being a break even deal as far as generating more money for the department was concerned. The resulting loss of hunters hurt their budget. On the management areas the wildlife dept. gets an allocation from the federal government based on the usage of the areas. They took a big hit in their operating budget monies because of the lack of hunters.They are doing everything they can to get people back into hunting- more doe days, here, there, everywhere. Tags that let you kill a doe anytime you see one until you get your 3.And the tagging system was put in place with the expectation that they were going to sell extra doe tags at $10 apiece, but the state legislature nixed that deal and would not allow it.What I am getting at is instead of managing the states deer herd for the benefit of the herd, they are managing the hunting regulations for the benefit of their budget. I will now step down off my soap box.For those who hunt....are there now two squirrel seasons in your area?
Here in WV we only have one season for squirrels, which opens the Saturday before Columbus Day in October and goes through till January 31. So we have a long squirrel season.





Other than the long season that is the only time we are allowed to hunt them. Of course during that long season you have archery and gun seasons for deer and bear, some areas have fall turkey season as well.
Texas has two squirrel seasons, and it has to do with squirrel breeding season. squirrels raise to litters per year, so they reproduce quite fast. The fall season coincides with the fall mating season, and the pups are born in the winter and are mature by spring, then leave the nest. the next breeding time is in may, and the pups are ready to leave home about fall, when the new season starts.


Season is closed while they are raising the little ones.
Missouri is ready to get started next Saturday.








Mullberry the first part of june


Blackberrys the last part of june/july


Walnuts in july and aug


Hickories in Late august and all of sept


Acorns after that








I just hate getting up at 3:00am to hunt squirrels before it's 100 degrees out !
In Pa. where I live there are two seasons since as far back as I can remember and I'm 41. why? hmmm.....good question. I would have to guess that it is to give you more hunting time on an animal that is abundant. I dont see squirrel hunters anymore like I did as a kid. I still go but I have several kids that are hunters and it is a great way to spend an afternoon as a hunting familly or with hunting buddies. they dont eat bad either but most people round here dont figure squirrel potpie to be a delicacy.....lol I dont believe in the killing of animals I wont eat and that is what I instill in my kids. If you shoot it you eat it in this house. I dont find hunting to be a ';sport';. shooting,yes, hunting,NO! Hunting is something we take very seriously round here....but, we eat what we shoot! animal activists might not be so pissed off if we didnt call it a sport. try contacting your local game commision officer or a wildlife biologist for your answer...
I see 1 season here in Indiana, but as far as I'm concerned, my yard, my squirrels, haha.





Lol, calm down, nobody is gonna hurt your squirrels. Hunters are not stupid, we only hunt on property we are allowed to hunt on.
You know out here I have never hunted squirrel. There are so few of them in this area most people don't bother. I think in the 8 years I've been here I've seen 4 squirrels.
In the UK the tree rat has no season and I can trap and blast them 364 days per year.
I live in Louisiana too. If someone tries to kill squirrels in my yard, they would be very sorry! I will protect you Scooter! (((((((SCOOTER)))))))))
I feed and love my squirrels that play in my trees in the yard. If I caught someone trying to hurt them, they will get knocked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment