Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What is the best way to hunt squirrels in south carolina, walking around, or sitting still?

Ive found that going and sitting under a tree works best. Even after you shoot one give it some time and more will appear. If not i usually take a mouth diaphram turkey call with me and squak on it a few times...this usually brings em out. There are also squirrel bark calls you can use to do this.


Patience is the key to Squirrel hunting ...good luck and have funWhat is the best way to hunt squirrels in south carolina, walking around, or sitting still?
Both!*What is the best way to hunt squirrels in south carolina, walking around, or sitting still?
I would expect South Carolina squirrels to be the same as squirrels anywhere else so no unique hunting technique would be needed. I tend to hunt alone without a dog and my technique, or preferred technique is to move little and look lots. I will go into the woods where I have previously determined there to be squirrels and stop and lean against a tree while I watch for squirrels. I will stay very still scanning the trees until Mr. Squirrel comes out. If I don't see a squirrel after 15 or 20 minutes in one place, I will quietly move to another location about 50 to 75 yards away and repeat my leaning against a tree and watching. The reason for leaning against a tree is to blend into the tree and to help me stay still and not move. I prefer not to sit because it limits where I can look. Sometimes I will use a squirrel call and sometimes not. I have several squrrel calls and use whichever one seems to be appropriate at the time. One is a squeeker with a bulb that you tap against your leg or the gun stock to imitate a squirrel. Another is a mouth call and a third is simply two poker chips with serations around the edges. I rub them together to make the sound of a squirrel cutting on nuts. When I use that one, I will take a few pebbles from my pocket and toss them one at a time on the ground to sound like cuttings hitting the ground. I just continue slipping along slowly through the woods this way until I have my limit or it gets late in the morning/ evening and my stomach tells me to head back to the house/camp/truck for some coffee and a sandwich. Sitting around on the tailgate of my truck and visiting with hunting companions, who have come back from hunting their part of the woods, while we enjoy sandwiches and coffee is a big part of the fun of squirrel hunting. Like most game, the best hunting times are very early in the morning and late in the evening but the fellowship of fellow hunters is good anytime.
sitting still, just put traps, they r stupid
Good to see almost everyone knows what they are talking about...





I've shot 1900 squirrels of almost all species and the tactics chnge for the breed.





Grey Squirrel~ Spot and stalk in otherwords walk on the tops of mountains and elevations between 1000-3000 feet is where you'll see the most.





red squirrels~ Sit and wait... but scout before hunting to find the areas they are frequenting. They live anywhere from vallys to high elevations.





Fox squirrels~ Both tactics work well but if hunting on smaller parcels of land I preffer to wait get to the spot you want to wait right at first light and the first hour will be you best bet.








On all of the waiting methods above i reccomend that after you shoot one move about 70 to 100 yards away from that spot and wait again.





Another great method is calling them buy calls at www.quakerboygamecalls.com
Actually the best way is to do both. I've hunted in S.C. and have had great success on squirrels. In the mornings when they are out feeding it's best to move slowly from spot to spot. Once you spot a squirrel move very slowly into range then wait 5 min. You are very likely to spot others that you didn't notice at first. Continue this routine til mid morning when the squirrels pretty much ';den up'; through the heat of the day. Then in late afternoon, find a spot within range of at least one or more trees with nests or den holes in them and sit and wait. When one squirrel pops out, wait a little longer. I've had as many as 5 squirrels climb out of one nest over maybe a 3 minute period. I manged to bag 3 out of those 5 from one spot. Then moving slowly as you did in the morning will reveal other critters and spots to hunt. Good luck!!
Let my Jack Russell out while I stay inside where its warm, watching the game!





I've heard to be still, with your back leaned up a tree. They scatter off the ground if they hear leaves rustling. They'll go up trees and get away from you before coming back down. If you're still and quiet, they won't catch on to you.





Happy hunting!
Still hunting when the leaves are still on the trees and walking around with a companion to ';turn'; the squirrel when the leaves are off. After the leaves fall it is much better if you have a good ';treeing'; dog too. I also prefer a scoped .22 when still hunting (leaves) and a twelve gauge shotgun when they're on the run (no leaves).
Well if you are opposed to walking and sitting you you could try standing on your head, im pretty sure running would scare them away.





I'm obviously bored :)
no don't move... just sit there like the ';nut'; that you seem to be, and they will come to you... then you might be able to talk them into submission..!!....say.. what are you gonna do with them when you get them..?? open up an all night McSquirrel sandwich shop..?? mmmYummyy
  • makeup hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment