Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What would be a better choice of gun to hunt squirrels?

should i use my 870 express 12 gauge shotgun with a smalll load or my rugor .22What would be a better choice of gun to hunt squirrels?
Ck your state laws to see if rifle is legal. I would prefer a .22 and head shots if I was eating and safing the hides. If using a shotgun use a low brass skeet load or low power with # 7.5 shot size and IC or Skeet choke if you are tree hunting. A MOD choke will do for longer ranges on the ground.DWhat would be a better choice of gun to hunt squirrels?
Either will work fine. Check your patterns with the 12 guage on the loads you will be shooting. 5, 6, 7 1/2 for squirrels. Heavy loads are better. The 22's in short and long with a solid or hollow point depending on the range you'l be shooting. No rat shot/shotshells in the 22 are recommended for squirrels.
you can't kill a squirrel with a 22 scatter shot. if still hunting use 22lr with hollow points. if on the move and the squirrels are running the shot gun # 5 or 6 shot. they are the hardest to kill of the small game
i had a22-410 over under that i stated my sons out i cant tell you the brand it was great they could hunt small game are birds and sense they only have one shot they had to make it count and when they got there other guns they were great shots even better then me ill never tell them that
If you just want them dead use the shotgun. If you want to harvest meat and pelts use the .22. If you want to do it cheaper and quieter get a bolt or pump .22 that shoots shorts.
I use a .22 short out of an old stevens chambered for .22 short, long, %26amp; lr,even tough I have access to shotguns I prefer a the .22 makes you a better shot and leaves you more meat.
Shotgun if you're serious about meat, 22 if you're primarily out for fun.
As long as you have decent aim, you should probobly stick with the Ruger 10/22. A 12 gauge is a bit overkill in my opinion.
* 12 Gauge *
22, because even small shot is too much for squirrel in my opinion.
I use a 22 or a 20 ga. with # 4 shot. A 12 is way to big if you plan on eating them.
I would use the 10-22 with .22 cal shot shells

No comments:

Post a Comment