Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do I train my dogs to hunt squirrels?

They are both 5 year old Golden Retrievers. Currently its like they don't even see them. ( I don't want them to kill the squirrels just chase them-they are ruining the yard)How do I train my dogs to hunt squirrels?
Obviously no one who has tried answer this dog actually own hunting dogs. Dogs trained to hunt are trained to track, chase, and retrieve, NEVER to kill. Also, well trained hunting dogs will only chase after things that you allow them to chase. My dogs will ignore any bird, squirrel, rabbit, etc unless I give them the command to chase it down when we are actually hunting. My dogs will chase down a bird or a small animal, but will only corner it till I, the hunter, comes around to kill it. No good hunting dog would ever kill an animal as what good is an animal for eating if it has been mauled by a dog?





If your dogs are well-bred hunting dogs, then the instinct to chase, but not kill will be alive in them. Just make it a game for them to chase the squirrels, maybe run after it with them for a bit, and after a while they will learn that it's okay to chase them when you command it. Make sure to train them on a leash so that they also learn to leave the animals alone when you command it as well.How do I train my dogs to hunt squirrels?
Everytime you see a squirrel, get really excited and say, ';go get the squirrel'; and open the door and say ';go';. They will pick it up really fast.





Squirrels are very fast and the chance of your dog catching one is minimal. I have greyhounds (fastest land animal after the cheetah) and they have never caught one in 7 years. Although they have come close. I give the squirrels a head start.





EDIT: I don't do this so they will catch and kill the squirrels. I only want the squirrels to stay off of my bird feeders. That is why I give them a head start.
I don't know, but i just adopted a Redbone Coonhound, and i wish someone could tell me how to get her not to notice them. She goes nuts if she sees a squirrel and my neighborhood is full of them - you are better off that they pay no attention to them as it makes for problems when you are trying to get them to the car and they notice a squirrel and try to pull your arm out of the socket.





She is getting better at ignoring them if I tell her no - so she is listening.
I had a dog that HATED squirrels and would chase them but the squirrels were too smart, fast and a could maneuver faster than my dog could plus don't forget the fact that they could scurry up trees unlike a dog, he could stay out there for hours and bark that the stupid things and never did manage to get them to come down and let him catch them and he was a miniature doxy, a big dog would have no better luck catching them, just have a harder time maneuvering to get them.
My friend has moles in her backyard that were ruining the plants and everything and she tried to get her dog to get rid of the moles but she wasn't successful. I think if you're serious about it you might have to call a professional trainer and pay a good amount of money to get it done.
Don't teach your dog to kill... next thing your going to post something like ';my dog killed a cat'; on this site.





I am assuming you are talking about GROUND SQUIRRELS?





IF SO go to a feed store and buy some pellets.(which are spacifically for ground squirrels and rats) . it's like what you put out for mice. they take them into their den.... and then eat a few of them and it causes them to bleed out.





They also have a container to put the pellets in so your dog won't get into them.





PLEASE DON'T TEACH YOUR DOG TO KILL OTHER ANIMALS!



Why would you want to that?? Unless you want to make your dogs sick, squirrels carry many diseases that your dogs can get from them. Come on, don't make them do that. And what if someday a squirrel runs across the street and your dogs will go chase it and get hit by a car???
If you want your dogs to chase squirrels, the squirrels will be killed. Whether the dogs intend to kill them or not. If the dogs pay no attention to them, there's nothing you can do. They don't have a strong prey drive.
golden retrivers are not bred to chase squirrels they have have been bred to be birddog stock.what you need to do is get a breed of dog that have been bred for that kind of thing such as treeing animals. you need a rat terrier or coondog for this purpose.
You don't.. You start sending your dogs after squirrels, then it will be cats, and then you are going to find yourself in trouble. Plus if your dogs have no natural prey drive, it's going to be a chore trying to teach them to kill poor innocent little squirrels..
don't do that i have a cat and he chased a squirrel and killed it yes a CAT!!! a dog would probably shred it apart and bring you the remains plus its not safe for your dogs cause squirrels carry rabies and stuff
  • wrinkles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment