Friday, January 22, 2010

Squirrel/Rabbit Hunting?

When I go out for these little critters this fall, what shotshells do you recommend? And as some of you may know, I have a Remington 870 Express 2 3/4'' and 3'' chamber.Squirrel/Rabbit Hunting?
no need for 3'; shells, stick wiht 2 3/4ths, #6 birdshot would be a good choice, #4s would work fine too. I'd stay away from 7 1/2 and 8 shot though.





Also, lead and not steel of courseSquirrel/Rabbit Hunting?
long brass #6, it's the consensus standard for all small game. no need to use 3'; or #4 load stick with the 6's and you'll be fine. since I know your using a remington 870 make sure you've got a screw in full choke and you'll knock the tree rats out with no problem and the bunnies are even easier to take out, if your running dogs for rabbits you might even consider a modified choke with #7 1/2 as they are a lot easier to kill than squirells, I shot at rabbits and I think I may have just scared them to death, essentially it just doesn't take much to take out a bunny. good luck and congrats on your new smoke pole, I have the same shotgun, also have the super mag for shooting the 3 1/2 inch mags for turkey and buckshot loads, just a little extra oomph..
I actually use #4 shot, it works nicely if you make a head shot. A body shot will obliterate the rabbit or squirrel.


If you can replace the choke in your barrel (screw in type) then I recommend the tightest Extra-full Turkey choke you can find, then you can used just about any reasonable size shot you want. - I learned this after lots of wasted bunnies!


A .22 rimfire is of course the best choice if it鈥檚 an option for you.


I have also taken many squirrels with a .32 Muzzleloader.



The answer is pretty straighforward Tom. Don't go below six shot, 2 3/4 standard load. Keep it simple. If you go below 6 shot you'll be picking bb's out forever, and chewing on a couple. Now, people will argue that 7 1/2 gives you a better pattern and more chance for success. Well there is some truth to that. But with 6 shot you only need two or three bb's for a bag. Plus they are easier to see when you skin. But once again, you know, you have to be a little more accurate with six shot. You can miss a couple until you get it right. But that is what I recommend.
3 inch works well but the recoil is too much... At least for me...





I use Remington 2 3/4 inch #6 Game Loads... The box with the rabbit on it... Take a look!





http://www.remington.com/products/ammuni鈥?/a>





I also have used this with excellent results....





Federal Game Shok 2 3/4 inch #6


http://www.federalpremium.com/products/d鈥?/a>
G'day mate In Australia we don't have squirrels but we have a hell of a lot of rabbits i use a 12 g with 4 and 6 shot but i use 4 most of the time,i also use a .22 magnum,.223.I have always used Winchester super x's 4 shot and now i reload them i get it to go about 1416 fps from the muzzle with the chrony but i haven't checked the pattern yet.cheers mate
if your a good shot , it doesn't relay matter what you use , i was out 2 weeks ago and the mixie mitoses is setting in . would be just as well to go with a cricket bat .
2 3/4 inch #5 shot is a really good load to use. You get the power of #4 shot and the open pattern of #6 shot. You can shoot any gamebird or small game animal with this round.
why not just get a 17hmr. they are a nice round and fun to shoot. you can do most of your small game hunting with it.
Number 4 shot for both in 2 3/4 only.*
well i use a .22 but i guess number six is ok but use a .22 with cci stinger if you can
For rabbits, I like my handloads with a mixture of #2 an #6 shot.
.22LR works for me... but for a shotgun, #6 shot.
what gauge? pheasant load- 20 gauge quail load -- 12 gauge

No comments:

Post a Comment