Friday, January 22, 2010

How to avoid run-ins with deer hunters while squirrel hunting.?

I'm a new hunter. My quarry of choice at this time is gray squirrel. I feel that it is a good way to get started while learning the ways of the hunter. Where I live, squirrel season coincides with deer season. If I am to continue to squirrel hunt, should I expect problems with deer hunters? I realize the planning, scouting and effort that goes into bagging a deer, but I also realize the fact that the public property that I hunt on belongs ';to the public';. I have just as much right to hunt squirrel there as the deer hunters. I mean, I would not knowingly ruin someones deer hunt, but some people think differently just because squirrels are considered small game.How to avoid run-ins with deer hunters while squirrel hunting.?
You should not have any problems with the deer hunters for a variety of reasons. And allow me to explain.





First, it is best to have more hunters in the woods. Why? Because the more people in the woods ';tramping around'; will stir-up the deer. You see, deer are mostly nocturnal animals. That's why you mostly see them at nights along the highways and why more deer/auto accidents happen at night. They know that they are safer to feed in the fields and along the highways at night. During the day, they usually bed down and rest in a comfortable spot, out of view.





Second, you are not shooting deer, so you are not competing with the deer hunters. They gotta love that! You wandering around the woods, stirring up the deer that would otherwise be bedded down and shooting and squirrels.





Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings. But, when squirrel hunting, just don't sit and post yourself too close to the deer hunters. The one thing I can't stand is when I am at my deer stand and another hunters wanders into the area wearing blaze orange and decides to sit about 75 yards from where I was already posted.How to avoid run-ins with deer hunters while squirrel hunting.?
Just don't hunt in areas where deer hunters hunt. Besides, hunting in the same spot will ruin your chances and the chance of any deer hunters of getting anything.





Way I look at it- if a deer hunter is in a certain spot first that day, then you gotta find some place else. Also, I'm sure that there's plenty of acreage to where you and other hunters won't run into each other.. just remember, especially since your on public land, KNOW WHAT IS BEYOND YOUR TARGET.
I hunt a lot of public land my self so I know what you are talking about but the fact is deer hunters don't own the woods.Just be respectful to your fellow hunters if you see a deer hunter go the other way don't get right on top of him/her and talk.I hunt mostly small game anymore because it's just not worth deer hunting where I live any more.Deer hunting in PA is so popular there is just too many people in the woods. Good luck and stay safe.
well you just go out and if you see a deer hunter's blind of stand walk immediately and quietly. I know if some guy hunting squirrel scared away my 8 pointer I would be pretty dam angry. maybe if you know anyone at all who hunts in that general area tell them that your gonna be out there and and ask them when there gonna be out there to get rid of scheduling conflicts. that why if it's not private land I never hunt squirrel in the same place I hunt deer.
when I hunted squirrels I sat still until a squirrel came into range. if I were hunting deer and you squirrels I would not know what you were after. now if you shot at a squirrel near my stand I wouldn't like and I would leave. you could avoid encountering deer hunters closer in where deer are not as likely to be. if you were to hunt by walking around exposed to all those hunters. I would still hunt were there were few hunters. be careful and good hunting. Jesse
No serious small varmint hunter goes hunting during deer season..... Don't lecture us about ';to the public'; and all that nonsense...... You got the whole year to go out and hunt varmints so why bother deer hunters just to be a jerk........
Don't go out and hunt flippin squirrels while people are deer hunting, ARE YOU DUMB! Either you will get your *** kicked, possible shot, or ran out of town. PICK ONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment