Saturday, January 23, 2010

Please help me train my jack russell terrier to hunt squirrel?

I have seen several people who use JRTs for squirrel.....I would start out by checking out your local sporting goods store, they will have some videos and books that will help you get started. You might also search the internet for some tips and maybe even some local trainners that would be willing to give you some advice.Please help me train my jack russell terrier to hunt squirrel?
I am not sure if they will hunt animals above ground, such as squirrels. Jack Russels were bred to hunt underground. They will go down ground hog holes and holes of other burrowing animals. It is natural instinct for them. They can stay underground as long as two weeks. Many have gone underground and never came back.





My Russel has attempted to go under many times. I haven't let him, for fear he won't come back.Please help me train my jack russell terrier to hunt squirrel?
Do you love him?and let him ride in the car,give him treats,and not leave him out in the cold.If so shouldn't be a problem.
Use squirrel hides from successful hunts to get the dog interested in squirrels. Start out by dragging the hide on the ground and letting the dog chase it. When you have the little bugger's interest, start dragging it along the ground and then up the side of a tree and holding it there. This will teach him that squirrels he smells on the ground often take to the trees. Take your little buddy on walks through the woods so he can chase squirrels. If you take him along and he is as smart as most Jacks, after a few hunting trips he will get the idea that you are after those little tree-rats and will start looking for them for you. You will notice after you shoot a few out that he will start looking up for the squirrel when you raise your rifle to shoot. That's when you know you have a dog that is really interested in getting a little fur in his mouth.
Go to www.sqdog.com great site but the guy was right there it's ground dog but he was wrong about ground hogs they were breed for digging out foxes

No comments:

Post a Comment