Saturday, January 23, 2010

If I were hunting squirrels (gray and fox) with a .410 bore shotgun...?

What type of shotshells would you advise that I use? I am hunting the squirrels for the table, though I do take their hides/tails as well. That is a secondary concern, though.


I concentrate on headshots and I am a relatively good shot with open sights.





What do you think works ';best';?


Does it matter so much with the small .410?





I have 3 partial boxes of shells now:


7 1/2 shot 3 inchers,


6 shot 2 1/2 inchers,


and 4 shot 3 inchers.


You may also advise different size/shot combinations if you like any more than those three types.





I am using a .410 because I am still somewhat sensitive to recoil, and out of the guns I have access to, it is the 'next most friendly' one to my shoulder.





The gun is a pump-action Mossberg 500 with a built-in full choke, and it will shoot either size shell that I am referring to.





Later on in the season I will be using .22 LR rifles to hunt them, but I'm already well and good with shooting those.





Thanks.If I were hunting squirrels (gray and fox) with a .410 bore shotgun...?
I used to use #6 a lot, but would ruin a lot of meat because of the amount of shot in the squirrel. I use #4 or #5 with any of my shotguns now, usually a .410 side-by-side my Grandfather gave me or a 20 ga. single shot that was the first gun he bought with his own money back in 1928. If most of your shots are close, I'd say stick with the larger shot with the full choke. You'll spoil less meat that way.


Most of the time now I use my T/C Contender 10'; .22 pistol with a 2x scope and wait for a good shot, which occasionally takes some time with most of the leaves still on the trees.


I've enjoyed squirrel hunting for 30+ years now and it's a good way to spend time in the woods to see where the deer have been moving for deer season too.


Good luck hunting and don't worry about the comments from the anti-hunters/gunners. Some people don't get it and never will.


I'm happy I was raised to be a hunter, fisherman, and camper.If I were hunting squirrels (gray and fox) with a .410 bore shotgun...?
i use a 10 guage with 00 buck shot.the only thing is i cant eat them after i shoot them,only fur left.................no but seriously i use 410 also.i use 3';#5 to shoot squirrels.i also use a 22mag,just in case i see the dreaded coyote out running around,or groundhog.........i like to keep my options open
# 6 shot works well for me
I prefer 5 or 6 shot in 3 inch. It will reach the top of the trees better,I like 22 STINGERS for my rifles.
Some people are just sooo simple minded! I use a .22 all year long and I live in PA were there's a lot of brush. Try a scope, with it you might have better luck. I like to know how do you preserve the tail? Since you mention you do that stuff. Just go under my pro and mail me the answer. Thanks.
im feeling squirrely
7 1/2 Shot is the smallest diameter,but with more pellets per shell- I would stick with the .22
I always use a .22 ranch rifle. I have seen people use .410s, but unless your really hungry, use the .22. It's more fun
Since you already have 3'; #4 shot, thats what i'd advise. If you decide to by shells for the .410 just for hunting, i would suggest federal 3'; # 5 shot as the best all around.Good luck, and have fun. :)
  • makeup hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment