Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Squirrel hunting on very small property?

My neighbor just gave me permission to squirrel hunt on his property. The area I can hunt is about 2.5 acres. I am limited to a light poundage bow and a bb / pellet gun. One half of the area is very tall grass and the other half is thick trees and bushes that you can barely walk through. I have 2 spots right now one is a homemade blind on the grassy side. and the other spot is a tree stand about 6 feet high. I can only hunt weekdays between 4-7 and all day weekends. Its is in the middle of a neighborhood with about 12 houses. There is always squirrels here just not when im hunting what am i doing wrong. I am going to put a bait pile out with acorns and peanut butter at both stands i think. I have a call i use also. Can you guys give me some tips on hunting here please. also what is the minimum poundage for a bow to kill a squirrel.Squirrel hunting on very small property?
Calls for squirrels are gimmicks that bring attention to yourself.


Also stay out of the tree. Be quiet and slowly walk around, don't stomp like a herd of buffalo. Learn to stop and listen for them. Be patient and take your time.





Find squirrels early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Early morning is your best bet, from sun up till it starts getting warm.





You can learn many outdoor skills by hunting squirrel. Skills that you can use someday for large game. With a pellet gun take head shots.





Enjoy the outdoors.Squirrel hunting on very small property?
Squirrels have extremely tough hides. Many pellet guns will barely penetrate the skin. Make sure you have an ';air rifle'; en lieu of a pellet gun.





For a squirrel on the ground, you can use a ';judo'; point on an arrow. This will keep your arrow from ricocheting off the ground and paying an unwelcome visit on the neighbors.





My personal experience that head-to-toe camoflage will get a squirrel within range. They just seem to get curious about the strange ';clump'; in a tree (me) and want to examine it.
Depends on range.....if you are close a 30-35lb should do. I would use a good strong Pellet gun. Squirrels are smart and can hide easily. Find a nut tree......there will be squirrels....catch them in the trees. Bait should work but,they don't like the ground for long periods. Do some scouting quietly.
Is it even legal to bait for squirrels? I would go with a scoped pellet gun, that's a lot easier to hit a squirrel with. I don't know if it's possible to have a bow set to low enough poundage to not penetrate a squirrels skin.
i would scope pellet gun,, or check out the gamo pellet guns,,tough to do with bow,, ask if you may use a shotgun,,as long as you are a hundred yds from a house you sold be ok check state regs.
A good pellet gun with a scope, and I could do well. You cant get too close to a squirrel so you need a gun with decent range. Also if you are a good marksman... otherwise a lot of practice will help.
USE A .22
I don't intentionally hunt squirrel from a tree stand. Having said that, I've been in a tree stand hunting deer and had squirrel all around me, but I won't take a shot at one until I'm finished hunting deer for the day. I have a bow mounted quiver with four broad heads and two FLU FLU's, for squirrel. A flu flu is a regular shaft that I glue a long feather (split in half) in a spiral fashion around the shaft. I use a yellow or red feather that will stand out from the surrounding foliage. I glue the feather wrong side out so it acts like an air brake. I put a rubber blunt on instead of a field point. A flu flu flies just like a regular arrow for a short distance. If you hit your squirrel you can pick up the arrow off the ground when you recover the squirrel. If you miss the squirrel, the arrow won't get stuck up in a tree where you can't recover it. They're a lot easier to find than a regular arrow on the ground. Good luck hunting squirrel with a bow. It's a lot of fun, but I think you'll do better on the ground than in a tree. Build a couple of flu flu's, or buy them, and practice with them so you know their strengths and limitations.
  • wrinkles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment