Saturday, January 16, 2010

What are some good dog breeds for squirrel hunting.?

I love to hunt and my grandpal always used to hunt with dogs so I want to too. Please give me at least 5 breeds to make my options more broad.


Thank you in advance.What are some good dog breeds for squirrel hunting.?
Most folks that hunt squirrel with dogs use either curs or feists. Dog hunting is growing in popularity, and some people take it very seriously. There are hunting contests for the dogs and the prizes can get rather high at times not to mention the breeding money that can come from a championship dog. I had a terrier mix - half Jagterrier and half bluetick that was a very god squirrel dog. Check out this website to find out all you ever wanted to know about hunting squirrel with dogs





www.squirreldogcentral.com





Lots of info on the sport, information on the different breeds, hunt clubs, kennels, and dogs for sale.What are some good dog breeds for squirrel hunting.?
There does not seem to be any breed that makes a good squirrel dogs. All that I have hunted with were mixed breed. Since they hunt by sight and sound, smell in not necessary. Be prepared for a lot of frustration in training one, for this is probably the most difficult to train. You need a dog that will look at squirrels and not bark, and will go into a certain stance when he sees on and that will not get to close to the squirrel that it runs it away. Good Luck for you are going to need it.
Some of the smaller terrier breeds are traditional: Jack Russells, fox terriers, rat terriers, Airdales, even some of the hound breeds. In the South, there are mongrel types called curs or feists that are ancient squirrel dog hunters. Check the links.
bird dog ,beagle,hound dog,irish setter ,basset hound[buy as puppies,makes them easier to train]
Wow, I wouldn't have even considered using a dog for squirrels. I would get one heck of a dog trainer to teach my dog to climb trees. HA HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment