Saturday, January 16, 2010

What would be a good squirrel hunting shotgun?

Hey, I'm gonna be doing squirrel hunting come this summer. I need a new gun XD. Right now I'm stuck with a 410 Snakecharmer shotgun.. lol. I obviously don't know much about guns, and that's why I'm asking. What would be a good gun for hunting Squirrels? Or maybe Rabbits.What would be a good squirrel hunting shotgun?
The 410 is an excellent choice for squirrels. A snake charmer is even better if it is the one with the 22 under it. A 20 gauge is also a good gunWhat would be a good squirrel hunting shotgun?
you can shoot squirrels/rabbits with your 410 but i suggest shotshell and not slugs,slugs would tear a lil critter in half-shotshell will kill it and not ruin it(unless your just hunting to kill for hobby and not sport,in that case take out half a squirrel with a 410 slug)your best bet is a .22 but if you already have a 410 you can use it no problem,have fun with your hunting ;)
First of all, forget the .410 for hunting. It just isn't enough gun. It has the power but just not enough shot to do the job. The two most common guages for hunting the game that you have asked about are the 12 ga.. and the 20 ga. Both will be excellent guns for those application. Of teh two, I favor the 20 ga. It is a little bit lighter and, therefore, is easier to carry for several hours in the woods. When considering ther cost of the gun and the weight of the gun, I find that I like a pump shotgun best. As for a brand, Mossberg makes a heck of a good gun for the money. Take a look at a Mossberg 500 in either 12 or 20 ga.
My grandpa always used an old blackpowder 12 ga. side by side. My stepdad used mostly a 12 auto but also had a 410 %26amp; .22 over and under..sweet. I started out with a Stevens(?) .22 single shot back in a time when a store would sell you single LR shells at 5 cents apiece. With shotguns I've used 12, or 20 gauge for squirrel, rabbit, and deer; when I used to hunt.





A few times I hunted rabbits in southeastern Arkansas cotton patches 55 years ago with a 12 year old, last name was Adams. I carried a 20 gauge and he carried a handful of rocks. He always brought back more rabbits than me. Talk about embarrassing. That experience taught me it is not the weapon, it's the hunter.
* Get yourself a good, cheap .22 LR. Like a Ruger 10/22.


Scope it with a 3-9x, 40 mm scope from, say, Bushnell for about $40. Practice, practice, practice.


You'll peen the bushytails in the head at 75 yds and feel good about yourself. And you won't ruin any meat.


Good eatin' to ya.
any shotgun chambered in 410., 28, 20, or 16 would probalbly without blowing the squirrel into 3 peices, other wise, my first pick wouldnt be a shot gun, it would be a 17 HMR which is basically a necked up 22.
My dad uses a 12, I use a 20, my uncle uses the 410, one of my cousins use a .22,another uses.17hmr, and others just use a pellet gun in highly populated areas.
A 20 or 12 Gauge Shotgun.* Mossberg or Remington Brand.* Hunt Squirrel %26amp; Rabbit using a Improved Cylinder Choke.*
Any shotgun you can afford.
Don't be so quick to dismiss the 410. Anything that gets the job done is the right gun.
Remington 870 Express or the Mossberg 500 field shotgun..... Get a 12 gauge model.... These 2 shotguns are the 2 most popular shotguns on the planet!.... I happen to like the Mossbergs.... The Remington also has legions of fans also -- Stop by the sport shop and look them both over......
I have a about 100 year old 12 ga not realy sure what it is but it cost a lot
Any 4-10 shotgun would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment