Saturday, January 16, 2010

Would you recommend a .17 HMR rifle for squirrel hunting?

I've seen mixed reviews about wound sizes and I want one. I just want to make sure.Would you recommend a .17 HMR rifle for squirrel hunting?
I would and will stick to my 22 lr or 22 mag but you said it all with ';I want one'; end of discussion eh? I know that want and the only way to satisfy it is with a new 17 in your safe have a blast!Would you recommend a .17 HMR rifle for squirrel hunting?
Yeah I took to hunting squirrels with a 450 marlin and it works great. I mount their heads with lil party hats and do experimental surgery on them I have saved 3. Well I nursed them back and shot em again. After gaining their trust.

Report Abuse



I mean this aint 1929 kill them squirrells and leave them laying. That's what they for them and crows. For making dead.

Report Abuse



For squirrels shoot the .22 lr or shorts. A .22 Mag or .17 HMR will blow them apart, literally. Do not give me that ';headshot'; crap. If you have hunted squirrels long enough you will learn fairly quickly you are not always presented with an opportunity to crack his noggin. Both the .22 Mag and .17 HMR are fairly nasty little rounds.
a .17 HMR will blow them to bits, but if you dont eat them then theres no such thing as overkill. previous answers have said to shoot them in the head, even for the most accurate rimfire bullet thats absurd. their heads are to small. use FMJ bullets or ballistic tips
Heck yes! Everyone is correct with the .22, but if the .17 is what you have and want to use it, it will work just fine! Good luck
Yeah, I'm gonna say use a .22, just because it's a bit cheaper to shoot.





However, the .17 HMR will do a good job for squirrels if that's what you have...
No. It's totally unnecessary. Just use a .22 LR. Now, if you already have an HMR, go for it. Take head shots with it, just like you would with a .22.
Unless you hit them only in the head, the high velocity tends to ruin a lot of meat. Stick with a .22lr. and learn to stalk to get closer.
i have both so it depends on your length of shot


.22 closer


.17HMR farther out also you can use for yotes that are relatively close to you
Well, maybe use the .17 if you can take head shots, because it is going to destroy a lot of meat if you hit the torso.
no I would suggest a .22 lr or .22 short or a maybe .22 mag at the most.
17 HMR would work for squirrels but I personally would go with the .22 LR or 22 magnum at the most .

No comments:

Post a Comment