Monday, January 18, 2010

Do I have to wait for a hunting season to start to hunt squirrels on my own Property?

I'm new to this whole hunting thing.Do I have to wait for a hunting season to start to hunt squirrels on my own Property?
The short answer is check your state/province/shire's hunting regulations since that will tell you if squirrels are a game animal or pest species.





In general, in the US most species of tree squirrel are considered game animals and must be hunted in season, regardless of where you are, unless you have a depredation permit for removing nuisance animals (that are eating crops or doing damage to a house). I believe in some western states ground-squirrels are considered a nuisance/non-game animal and may be hunted year round (though check the hunting regulations where you live to make sure).





In the UK, gray squirrels are an invasive species and may be shot year round as they are driving off and killing the native red squirrels. Red squirrels on the other hand are a protected species and cannot be shot in the UK.Do I have to wait for a hunting season to start to hunt squirrels on my own Property?
it'd be a LOT easier to check your state's DNR website than have anything on your record- weather your a minor or not. And if your in the USA, it may come back onto your parents, and I'm sure they wouldn't be too pleased.

Report Abuse



Yes. Just because the animal is on your property doesn't mean that it can be hunted out of season.


Some places you can hunt them year round, but check your state's DNR website FIRST to be sure of the season/s.





Also, during the warmer months, animals have many internal and external parasites which can harm people and other animals (like your dog or cat if you feed them anything from the animal also).
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in my state the squirrel is a game animal (all varieties) and is protected by law unless it is a legal hunting season open for them.And I have never heard that it is ok to shoot one with a pellet gun when it is illegal to shoot one with a .22. But then again there is a lot of things I've never heard of.Check with the


Department of Wildlife in your state before hunting squirrels on your property.
For all most every state i believe it is that you can as long as you are doing it with a pellet rifle ';that's excluding California.';


if you do i would suggest a pellet rifle that's 1000fps and over other wise you could loose the squirrel.


I would suggest that you go to your local sporting good center and ask there they will have most likely the best answer for you.
In California or the U.K. they can be d**ks about that sort of thing. If you live in the U.S., as a general rule there is no limit/season on game of that sort (I could pop coyotes all year long, same with squirrels). Shoot a couple, make a squirrel stew, and enjoy.
Depends where you are, in the UK they are pests and can be shot anytime of year, i think the same is for america. This is for the grey squirrel however not the red one, which is protected
here in the us you can shoot them out of season but nt with a gun. a pellet gun you can which means it is a pest. and reds arent protected here either
legally yes, But I have fruit trees that the squirrels eat off every day. If I didn't intervene I wouldn't get any fruit off of them.
* Yes *
D:


why kill squirrels? theyre cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment