Monday, January 18, 2010

What do i use for squirrel hunting?

calls homeade etc anything i need to know or get or what you reccomend for me !!What do i use for squirrel hunting?
git urselv som acorns bud and a high power rifleWhat do i use for squirrel hunting?
I grew up squirrel hunting. My Dad used a .22 rifle and so do I. If you've never done this before, here are my suggestions:





1) buy/borrow a .22 rifle and put at least a box of 50 rounds through it by shooting targets. If you can group shots well, you're good to go. You'll be aiming for the squirrels head so that's why you need to be sighted in. (you can certainly use a shotgun but a .22 is the best tool for the job).





2) find a woods with nut trees - beech, oak, hickory, butternut, etc. Don't forget to get permission!





3) use as much camo as your state's laws allow. If hunter orange is required, use a cap.





4) move through the woods slowly. Walk, look, listen. Repeat. You will be able to spot squirrel movement in the trees this way.





5) Be sure to try squirrel hunting when it's sprinkling/lightly raining someday. You will be amazed at how much squirrels are active during rainy days. Totally awesome.





You really don't need any calls for squirrels. I don't like them because they give your position away. Good luck, have fun and just once, try hunting them in the rain.
Sorry for all the anti-hunters who bogged your question.





I've always heard that using 2 quarters and rubbing the edges together works. I haven't tried it, been meaning to tho.





I personally, don't use any calls. If anything, if they are on the ground, I'll use my dog to tree them and keep them in the tree while I get on 'target' to shoot it.





Also, you can use a .22 or a shotgun (tho, I prefer a shotgun- more than one projectile if the tree rat starts to move when you go to shoot (they don't sit still for long)).





What gun you use depends on your personal preference and what you have available to you. I use 7/8 oz, #8 shot. Finding a bb in the meat doesn't really bother me cause I think of it similar to fish fillets- there's always that chance of finding a rib bone in a fish fillet, just part of eating fish. If you use a shotgun, just keep an eye out for bb's when you eat it.








And... from what I've been told (haven't done this yet, waiting to get more squirrels before cook something with em) you need to soak it in a salt brine (salt water solution).
high powered rifles?


knives?


comon people





and to all the anti hunters I ENJOY HUNTING INNIOCENT ANIMALS AND EATING THEM!





dude all you need is 2 quarters and a shotgun


what i do is either walk around and shoot em or sit and call and then shoot em


i usually use 6shot and a 20gauge pump but i started with a 20 gauge single shot and got alot of tree rats with it





good luck and screw all the anti hunters
An old trick to calling squirrels in rubbing the edges of two quarters together. They must still have the groove in them to make the call. Good luck and shoot straight!
.22 rifle


won't decimate your game, bullets fast and accurate.


A used .22lr rifle can be had for under $100 at almost any gunshop.
I use either a 20 ga. shotgun with # 4 shot or my 22 mag, but a 22 long rifle will work well. I also am sorry that so many ainti *** holes got to your question.
I just go out with my dog when I see a squirrel I shot it with my Stevens .22 [using .22 shorts sub sonic] and let my dog bring it to me.
if u don't need the food, stay home
Just take whatever gun you have and start walking through the woods. You're bound to see one. I recommend using a shotgun with buckshot. Or a .22 if you want a little bit more of a challenge. If you want you can cammo up and sit and wait for them to come by. Baiting them with corn will work very well. You can get 50lb bags of corn for a few bucks.
depends on your hunting prefernces, might wanna try a sling with metal balls or a bow and arrow. bb guns and paintaballs are no good. handguns and rifles don't leave much behind of the squirrel. shotguns ruins the pelts and meat. i doubt your fast enough to use a knife.





but see if any of them above works for ya
pellet gun works great for me, or you could just get some dogs to go after the little f***ers





the less, the better - good luck my friend
Bow %26amp; arrow. My husband used a rifle. He didn't want shot in the meat.
a squirrel gun
You don't.
a bb gun should do good
i think a shotgun

No comments:

Post a Comment