Saturday, January 16, 2010

What is an ideal 20 gauge shot for squirrel hunting?

The ammo companies usually recommend 6 shot or sometimes 5 shot. But let me tell you, using small shot pellets means MORE pellets. When I was young, I used to use 1 ounce, 8 shot, 20 gauge target loads that I loaded on my MEC reloading machine. 8 shot is super deadly on those tree rats.





These days I hunt squirrel with a 410 bore (Remington 870 Express). I like to use the 3'; 7.5 shot Remington Express loads out of that gun. It only has 11/16th ounce of shot, but it makes the hunting experience a lot more enjoyable.


What is an ideal 20 gauge shot for squirrel hunting?
I am going to recommend 8 shot. Its not as powerful as 6 shot, but it does provide a lot more room for error. When your squirrel hunting, usually they are up in a tree, and when there are limbs, then there is blockage, 8 shot will remedy this. Whatever you choose, just be safe and have fun, take a friend as squirrel hunting is a GREAT beginner hunt.What is an ideal 20 gauge shot for squirrel hunting?
Squirrels are thick-skinned, and, for their size, carry a lot of lead. So much so, in fact, it's been said if they grew to the size of deer it would take a howizer to kill one.





So you want fewer pellets, each of which packs a wallop.





For me, that adds up to #5 shot. One size up or down would serve, especially if you're confined to commercial loads (fives are hard to come by).






As the 20-ga. not only holds less shot but patterns less efficiently than the 12ga., I would recommend 7 1/2 shot in a tightly patterning target load with hard shot. Use modified or improved-modified choke, aim for the head.
I have good success with #6.......





This stuff.......





http://www.remington.com/products/ammuni鈥?/a>
The Winchester Product Ballistics Service Manuel for 2008 recommends you use Number 4, 5, or 6 shot for Squirrel.*
Number 6 is best over all; 4 is OK but doesn't acheive the pattern; when you get to a point a .22 with is scope is way more fun..... just shoot them anywhere in the eye...





sparkman7x7
6 would be the best for squirrels. a 5 would be good for a bird and a 4 would be good for long-distance turkeys.
6, 7 or 8 shot will work





you will choose when u have hunted a few times with diff shot
When you find one please come to my yard :) I have quite a few for you.
I like 6's
7's or even 8's will work just fine.


shoot safe
damn there wont be much squierell left after u shoot it

No comments:

Post a Comment