Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I want a golden retriever for a squirrel hunting dog, i have had one before but not for hunting though...?

does anyone know where i can get a good loyal hunting retreiver for a low price? also am i going after the right dog? tell me what you think...thanks!I want a golden retriever for a squirrel hunting dog, i have had one before but not for hunting though...?
';Retrievers'; are bred for getting the prey once they are shot....like swimming out and bringing in a duck.





Squirrel dogs FIND the prey for you. So do pointers but for tree rats you need a dog with a great nose and lots and lots of running and barking when he's onto prey.





My cousin used to run Catahoula hounds for squirrel, but beagles and many other breeds work.





I don't think any retriever would be a 'natural' going after squirrel.I want a golden retriever for a squirrel hunting dog, i have had one before but not for hunting though...?
Jack Russell Terriers make excellent squirrel dogs my dad breeds them and they are great!!
to be honest I Goldie would not make a good squirrel dog. Best to go the the smaller retrievers such as the jacks.





See the link below. good info





EDIT: Sorry I mis-wrote: it should read smaller dogs such as terriers not retrievers





Thanks
No, I sure don't. I do, however, know that Irish Setters make good hunting dogs.
we have always used beagles for squirrel and rabbit hunting, i have heard of ones using terriers for squirrel as well, but from our experience the beagles are hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment