Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rabbit and squirrel hunting tips and tricks?

any rabbit and or squirrel hunting tips or tricks out there?


thanksRabbit and squirrel hunting tips and tricks?
best method for squirrel hunting is to 1st locate area with food source like oak,hickory,beech or other nut bearing tree. you should then be in place very early,before light,sit very still and quietly and as dawn breaks you will hear and see squirrels moving. if they are coming toward u,best to just wait til in range,if you have to get closer move slowly and BE QUIET. they won't notice you if still,they don't see colors . after sucessful hunt,prepare a big pot of gumbo and invite me over.Rabbit and squirrel hunting tips and tricks?
I just did what my beagle told me to do.
Shoot accurately and go for a head or neck shot, anything else and they are likely to scamper off and die where you can't get to them.





My squirrel hunting has been opportunistic, just wait until they are somewhere close and then shoot them.





For rabbits I find their burrows and then find a place where I can be concealed down wind of them. I wait until one sticks his head out and then aim just behind the eye and squeeze off a shot. I use a 1000fps 22 air gun and it's a 100% reliable weapon out to 35 yards or so. Beyond that the gun has the power but the hold-over increases rapidly and in any case I'm usually at 15-20 yards.





Patience is the main thing, watch and wait.
My best rabbit and squirrel hunting has always been after it snows. It's harder for them to find food, and they are less likely to hear you comming.





Squirrels also eat ';hedge apples'; or ';osage oranges';, so I sometimes kick back a wait for them there.





You can also buy calls for both rabbits and squirrels.
if after you've sat and waited for those squirrels, you get bored, walk around and look for them on the ground and in trees, if you hear one run towards it. it will run up a tree opposite where you are standing. you can throw sticks or stones on the side of the tree that the squirrel is on and it will run around to the side that you are on, then you can shoot it. make a head shot, it's the only shot that will kill it instantly. squirrels taste like chicken, mmm, mm, good

No comments:

Post a Comment