Monday, January 18, 2010

While squirrel hunting, is it better to sit or walk?

I have met the limit both ways but I was wondering which was better.


ThanksWhile squirrel hunting, is it better to sit or walk?
For me, early in the season while leaves are still on the trees walking works best while they're feeding in the trees. When the leaves drop and most of the nuts have too (around here acorns, beech, and hickory) I'll walk about 50 yards, sit for 15 - 30 minutes, move another 50 yds., etc.While squirrel hunting, is it better to sit or walk?
Walk--if you sit the squirrels might mistake you for a nut
I prefer to sit, but which ever is more enjoyable to you is best.
I would sit in a tree stand, then walk in the area of my stand, then go back to sitting for a while, just alternate like 30 minutes for each, something like that.
I like to wait till a rainy day.The day after it stops raining,I like to go out and walk.This way the woods are quiet,and the squirrels moving in the trees shake rain droplets out of the trees,making noise for you to locate them,all the while on your silent approach.On dry days I like to stay put in full camo in a hardwood forest,with plenty of dry leaves around for noise to signal approaching squirrels.
I have better luck walking.
Walk, Sit, Walk, Sit, Walk, Sit.





Unless you have hounds, then it's run to find the hounds, run to find the hounds, run to find the hounds!
depends but i have the most luck walking and even more luck walking with a dog
Sit unless your cold!!!!
That all depends on whether I feel like going for a nice walk or just sitting and soaking up the environment. Both work equally well for me.
sitting, in the right spot.
I'm more of a fan of sitting and waiting for the squirrels to come back out to being active after the noise of moving into their territory.
As you know, both ways work quite well. I always seem to do a little of both. Usually, I will walk until I get some action, then find a place to sit for a little while....maybe get another shot and then move on to the next spot. I don't think one method is better than the other; you must employ both in order to have the most enjoyable hunt. Often, I can spot squirrels in trees that are several hundred yards distant and I will walk to them and get a shot or two before walking to the next grove of trees.
I prefer walking myself. You can move through an area, hunt it, move to another and come back again when things calm down. And it breaks the monotony...
i have had alot of good hunting by just setting down and waiting on the squirrels that you scared to come back out and start cutting on the nuts on the beech trees or wherever you are hunting at but walking will do you just as much good but the squirrels are more likely to see you and not move therefore you cannot see them to shot them

No comments:

Post a Comment